Health Insurance Underwriting Guidelines


One of the craziest things that has ever happened to me as a webmaster in health insurance happened when I started getting inundated with harassing phone calls and emails from the insurance companies for posting underwriting guidelines in my website.  I don’t know why these documents are so secretive and guarded but I can say I was threatened with losing contracts and lawsuits if I didn’t pull them.  As a result I caved in, sort of. I left the guidelines up but with no real way of navigating to them.  The links were down in other words.
Most health insurance companies do not pay attention what I do over here so it seemed odd that I was getting ganged up on a daily basis during this period.  What had happened was Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida had found my postings and literally ratted me out to everyone.  Usually, these companies would murder each other given a chance, but they were working together to protect their awful secrets.
Well, what has changed? Not a whole heck of a lot though we have grown both in size and stature in the industry and my blog (where you are reading this) is not really part of a commercial website so if you are wondering, I am going to republish at least a few of them.  This blog doesn’t sell health insurance or make attempts to represent the carriers we work for in our professional lives so I am pretty sure it will fly unnoticed.
Why are these documents so carefully protected?  I am not sure as it is not like most agents and carrier personnel don’t have easy access to them, but for some reason if they got into the hands of the general public who gets declined it could potentially be used in a lawsuit?  I don’t know this is mostly conjecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment